Instituto de Montaña is at the COP27.
Instituto de Montaña at COP27
6th November 2022
The 27th United Nations Climate Change Conference 2022 (COP27) has begun. From November 6 to 18, state actors, heads of state, civil society and others will be meeting at the International Convention Center in Sharm El-Sheikh (Egypt) with the aim of articulating strategies for action to address the climate emergency, following up on countries’ targets for reducing greenhouse gases, increasing resilience, and adapting to and mitigating the consequences of climate change.
IdM will be participating in different events throughout the conference:
- (NbS) for Climate Adaptation in Mountains: promoting women leadership in agricultural landscapes. November 10 from 9:30 to 11:30 EET – Korean Pavilion.
This event will present the case for how nature-based solutions can sustain climate resilience in mountain ecosystems, and the critical role women’s leadership plays in building climate adaptation and natural resource management strategies.
Register here to participate virtually: https://t.co/VrqbgAdyky
- IPCC Cross-Chapter 5: Mountains – sharing knowledge to promote adaptation initiatives in mountains. 11 November 11:30-13:00 EET- Hatshepsut.
The event aims to explore how a science-policy dialogue (based on the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report and its Cross-Chapter 5) focused on mountains can be built in the framework of the UNFCCC. In addition, discuss how to strengthen the science-policy dialogue and investigate how the findings of the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report and its Interchapter 5 can be used for policy development.
The session will be streamed live on the UNFCCC YouTube channel.
- Doing it Better: Unpacking evidence from the field and lessons learned from NbS for Adaptation. November 14 from 14:10 to 15:10 EET – Paris Committee on Capacity-building (PCCB) Oceans & Land Day
In this session, speakers will present three inspiring case studies of completed Nature-based Solutions for Adaptation/Ecosystem-based Adaptation projects from around the world, delving into the achievements, lessons learned, return on investment and impact of their projects on the ground. In addition, they will share the long-term impact of their projects on local communities and reflect on lessons that can be applied to future projects as adaptation efforts are scaled up around the world.
- Enhancing Climate Resilience in Mountain Ecosystems – Learnings from Water Towers around the World. November 15, 18:30 to 20:00 EET – Thutmose (150)
The objective of the event is to showcase a risk-based approach to integrated watershed management (ICM) that promotes resilience by assessing climate risks and promoting nature-based solutions to address vulnerabilities and impacts of climate change in Lesotho and the world.
- Exhibit booth: Instituto de Montaña, OIKOS and Mountain Sentinels. November 10-12. Booth #6
This exhibit will showcase how local mountain communities are working to address livelihood, climate and sustainability challenges.
Follow our social media to find out more news from COP27.